Cheese topped Cauliflower cheese
It was a chilly overcast day and we fancied something warming and wholesome This recipe is gorgeous, you can adapt it to suit your taste in so many ways, but this is the way I like to make it. We ate it before I remembered to take a pic for the blog, but I will get one up here next time.
|the cheesy topping on this is so scrummy|
1 medium cauliflower (we managed to source ours from a farm shop that farms G.M.O. free and organic).
4-6 spring onions (scallions in America)
1-2 clove of garlic
2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
6 oz button mushrooms
2 tablespoon plain flour
1 pint milk
4 ripe tomatoes
6 oz cheddar cheese + 2 oz for topping
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
Fresh or frozen defrosted bread crumbs to cover
1. Cut a cross in the bottom of the cauliflower stalk, strip hard leaves off, keep tender young ones and place cauliflower stalk topside in a pan of boiling water. Cook through until tender and drain, trim the thick stalks off leaving just the cauliflower florets. Spread out in an oven proof dish.
2. While the cauliflower is cooking pre heat the oven 350 F /180 C / gas 4.
3. Take a largish fry pan with deep sides and gently cook the spring onion and garlic in the olive oil.
4. Add the mushrooms and allow to soften.
5. Add the flour and then gradually add the milk stir continuously as it thickens.
6. Stir in the grated cheese and the mustard, stir until all the cheese has melted and all is well combined.
7. Pour the sauce over the cauliflower and top with a sprinkling of thinly sliced or grated cheese some bread crumbs and the sliced tomatoes.
8. Cook uncovered until crispy and golden brown on top.
The sauce and topping in this recipe works equally well with cooked macaroni in place of the cauliflower.