Heavenly Vegetarian chilli
I first made this for an Xmas party three years ago and since then I get asked to make this one in preference to a meat based one. The males of my clan are carnivorous through and through, but its this chilli that tops their hot dogs.
This quantity Makes 8 servings, but I like to cook triple quantities, using three separate pans and freeze it. Being the only vegetarian in the family this gives me a great standby meal for most occasions, put it with rice, or heaped on a jacket potato, dip with flat breads, or serve with salad, its very versatile.
|You can just see my three saucepans simmering away|
1 1/2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
2 x 350 g quorn mince
2 x 400 g kidney beans in chilli sauce
2 x 400 g tins chopped tomatoes
2 peppers 1 red 1 green diced
2 large onions diced
2 teaspoons chilli powder
1 tablespoon Worcester sauce
1 tablespoon tomato purée
tip of teaspoon Chinese 5 spice
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
freshly ground black pepper
1. In a large saucepan heat 1 tablespoon of the oil and fry the onions and the peppers on a low heat about 10 minutes until soft, be careful not to brown.
2. Add the rest of the oil and the quorn and stir in.
3. Add the chilli powder, paprika and generous black pepper, add the Chinese 5 spice and stir for a few minutes.
4. Add all the other ingredients give it all a stir and leave to simmer covered for about an hour. Add water if needed and stir occasionaly to prevent sticking.
5. Add extra seasoning to taste half way through.
Tastes even better the next day or cool and freeze.