I had a jar of quinoa sitting on my shelf for three months. I brought the quinoa because I read about its super healthy properties, but it is not a familiar grain to me and I was not sure how to use it. But today I saw this recipe and knew I had to try it. It was great and super easy to prepare. So if you ever find you are not familiar with some ingredient or other, I encourage you to get your pots out and dive in, have fun, play with this and with that, life is precious, find the joy. I only used three assorted coloured peppers, but the same amount of filling the recipe states to make a plentiful meal for GD and myself. After stuffing the peppers and putting them in the oven to cook I took the rest of the mix and put it in a separate dish covered with foil to cook in the oven, when ready I put the stuffed peppers each into their own little oven proof dish and put the rest of the mix around the base of the pepper and topped both the pepper and side mix with the cheese. Then to serve we cut and shared the different dishes between us, lovely.
|gathering the ingredients
|All mixed -the aroma is divine
1 cup uncooked quinoa white, red or both
6 bell peppers any colour
1 15 oz can black beans drained and rinsed
4 cups of cheddar cheese 2 to stuff 2 to top
3-4 spring onions finely chopped
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon crushed coriander seed
few green leaves torn up, like baby kale
1. Place 1 cup of quinoa, 2 cups of water and 1/2 teaspoon of salt in a medium saucepan and bring to boil, cover, reduce to a simmer and cook for fifteen minutes. Remove from heat and let stand for 10 minutes covered. Spread cooked quinoa out in a dish to cool.
2. Bring 6 pints of water to boil, add 2 teaspoons salt to the water. Cut 1/2 -1″ of the top of bell peppers and remove the core and seeds. Finely chop the top of the peppers you took off and add to the bowl with the quinoa for the stuffing. Place the peppers in the boiling water for three minutes to par cook them. After three minutes carefully remove the peppers and place in an oven proof dish, cut side up.
3. Add to the quinoa dish the drained black beans, 2 cups of the grated cheese, the spring onions, cumin and torn leaves.
4. Stuff the peppers with the prepared mix, pack it and mound the stuffing. Place 1/4 cup of water at the base of the peppers.
5. Cover with foil and bake centre oven 350 F, 175 C. for 35 minutes. After 35 minutes remove from oven and drain any residual water, top with remaining 2 cups of cheese, return to the oven and cook ten more minutes until cheese is melted and browning.