Pumpkin Root Soup
|getting ingredients together|
I had a large pumpkin in my larder and decided to make some pumpkin root soup today. I love to cook, it is such a great way to de-stress, I find myself smiling and singing before the recipe is through. I especially like this recipe as it is good for vegetarians as the hidden beans are a good source of protein. It is a mix of two original recipes slightly adapted which I found on ‘best recipes’ and ‘waitrose’ November magazine.
Makes 8 generous portions: freezes well.
3 generous tablespoons olive oil
2 red onions diced
2 cloves garlic finely chopped
1 chopped chilli de seeded or paste (to taste) optional. I used half a green chilli because I had 1 long one in the fridge, red would give a nice fleck but you would need less.
1 small celery stalk diced
30 g root ginger finely chopped (I used stem)
2 medium carrots diced
1 large sweet potato diced
1 small or 1/2 large pumpkin de seeded and chopped into 2″ cubes ( don’t go by the photo this was really big)
1 teaspoon ground cumin (recipe stated 1 tablespoon but we wanted just a hint of curry plus we also added the chilli.
Generous pinch of cayenne pepper
750 ml – 1 litre of vegetable stock or to cover
1 x 440 g tin cannellini beans, you can use other beans too like kidney bean which gives a nice brown fleck.
1. Fry the onion, garlic, chilli, celery, ginger and a pinch salt in 2 tablespoons of the olive oil in a large saucepan until soft. Sweat for 5 minutes.
2. Add the carrots and sweet potato and the pumpkin (reserving 4 cubes) add the spices and fry for 7-8 minutes.
3. Pour the stock over the vegetables enough to cover, simmer until the vegetable are soft approximately 20-30 minutes.
4. Heat the remaining olive oil in a frying pan and add the reserved pumpkin cubes cut into tiny cubes, fry for a few minutes until cooked and beginning to brown.
5. Remove the soup from heat and blend. (season if desired, also option here to add crème fraiche 75 ml).
Serve with the fried pumpkin (and a little more crème fraiche and cumin if using)
|next time will cut the cubes much smaller but was delicious even so|