Easy Celebration Pizza
Today is a celebration Day !!!, my eldest son, daughter in law and two young grandsons are moving in with us for a couple of weeks while their house purchase completes. GD and I never dreamt when we moved from London to Cornwall that any of the rest of the London based families (which we missed so much and was such a big wrench to leave), would be making the same journey a couple of years later. So to celebrate today I am making pizza. I share this recipe because it is such a doddle to make and is always such a big hit, especially good for when you need to make food for lots of people. Following recipe will make four large pizzas.
Ingredients for the dough base.
- 1500g strong white flour, plus extra flour for dusting
- 3 tsp salt
- 3 x 7g sachet fast-action yeast
- 9 tbsp olive oil
- 900ml warm water, (approx 600ml cold 300 ml hot mixed).
1. In a large bowl place the Flour, Yeast and Salt and mix together.
2. Measure out your Warm Water and add the Olive Oil to it, then pour into the middle of the flour mix.
3. Draw in the flour from the sides with your hands until it sticks together to form a sticky ball, then dump out onto a well floured board.
4. Knead the dough, to knead means to push out a section of dough with one hand and bring back to the centre, repeat this action turning your dough ball and incorporating more flour as needed until the dough becomes soft and springy, approximately 8-10 minutes, don’t worry about your hands being all sticky with dough to begin with, as you work the dough it will gradually remove from your hands and integrate with the dough ball.
5.Return to the bowl and cover with a clean cloth and leave to rise in a warm environment, approximately 45 mins-1 hour. I don’t have an airing cupboard in this new house, so I use GD’s home brew warming tray to get a good rise.
6.Turn out the dough onto a floured surface, divide into four and roll to shape. I have two pizza stones I like to use and use metal trays with perforations to cook any extras.
Ingredients for the toppings:
- 1 lg Tin of chopped tomatoes 400g or 1 carton of Passata.
- 1/2 Tube of double concentrate tomato puree.
- 4 packages of 200g mozzarella cheese.
- Grated mature cheddar cheese, enough to cover pizzas with light sprinkling.
- Few fresh herbs of choice (optional). I usually use basil or oregano.
- Good quality chorizo. (optional).
To Top Method:
Simmer the chopped toms or passata gently to reduce down, approximately 15 minutes. Spoon over pizza and add a few squirts of tomato puree and spread to cover dough base.
Add sliced mozzarella, add herbs if using, chorizo if using, to finish top with grated cheese, pop your prepared pizzas into a preheated oven 200 degrees C or gas mark 6. Bake 15 minutes or until golden.
Voila, ready to serve!